PREP: 20 MINS
COOK: 30 MINS
- 4 Apples
- 4 stalks of Rhubarb
- Rind of an Orange
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 cup Flour
- 1½ teaspoons Baking Powder
- 100 grams Butter, softened
- ½ cup Caster Sugar
- 1 Egg
- ½ cup Milk
- Icing Sugar for dusting
- Custard or Whipped cream to serve.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Lightly grease a 6-8 cup capacity ovenproof dish.
- Chop the apple and rhubarb into small pieces.
- Place in a pot with a little water, the orange rind and the first measure of sugar. Cook gently until soft. Put this into the ovenproof dish.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy.
- Lightly beat the egg into the creamed mixture.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture alternately with the milk. Spoon over the hot fruit.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the sponge is well cooked and golden.
- Dust the icing sugar over the top of the sponge and serve with either custard or cream.