PREP: 20 MINS
COOK: 20 MINS
SERVES: 12 Croquettes
- 3-4 Sweetcorn cobs (or 1 tin of sweetcorn if not in season)
- 4 Potatoes
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Onion
- 5 Ham slices
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- Fresh Herbs
- 1/2 cup Cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Bread crumbs
- Oil for frying
- Peel and wash potatoes, then cut into small pieces.
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil and add the potatoes.
- Cook these until soft and drain well. Mash the potatoes with the milk and butter until smooth.
- Chop the onion and herbs finely and dice the ham steaks. Fry the onion in the olive oil until soft, then add it to the potato.
- Cut the kernels from the corn cobs (or drain the tin). Add this, the herbs, cheese and ham to the potato and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the mixture into 12, and using wet hand shape into a sausage shape.
- Whisk the egg, then place the egg and bread crumbs in separate shallow dishes. Dip the croquettes in the egg then roll in the bread crumbs to coat.
- Pour oil into a frying pan and heat to a medium heat. Cook the croquettes, in batches turning so they are golden brown and crunchy.