PREP: 20 MINS
COOK: 33 MINS
- 1 onion , finely diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 stalk of celery, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano , finely slice (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 vegetable stock cube dissolved in 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 dried red lentils
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce or Worcester sauce
- A good pinch of salt
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a large fry-pan on medium heat.
- Finely dice the onion and cook with garlic, grated carrots, sliced celery and oregano until softened.
- Add vegetable stock, then simmer for 1 minute, until nearly all evaporated.
- Stir through the lentils, tomato paste, tomatoes, sugar, soy sauce, salt and water.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for about 25 minutes until lentils are soft.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. If mixture dries out at any time, stir through ¼–½ cup water.
- When ready serve with pasta or rice and sprinkle with some parmesan cheese if you like.