- An empty 2 litre bottle (or something similar in size)
- Scissors and sharp knife
- Hole punch
- Small rocks
- Vegetable peelings/Banana skins
- Black construction paper
- Start by cutting off the top of your bottle and add some tape around the rim of the bottle so there were no sharp edges.
- Use a hole punch to make some air holes in the top piece, and leave the cap off the top in the end. Make a few holes for drainage in the bottom of the bottle also.
- Add the rocks to the bottom to help with drainage, then about a 6 cm layer of sand and about the same amount of soil. Repeat this until you are near the top of the bottle. Make sure you have put some worm in each layer a a few vegetable peelings and chopped banana skins to feed the worms.
- The bottle should look something like this when you are done.
- Then take the black construction paper and wrap it around the bottle. This keeps it dark inside, more like what the worms are used to.
- After a few days you will be able to remove the black paper and see what the worms had been up to. Make sure you cover it again when you are done to keep the worms happy.