PREP: 5 MINS
COOK: 5 MINS
SERVES: As many as you want!
- Wholemeal or white toast bread
- Cinnamon (Optional)
- Butter or margarine
- Cream cheese (optional)
- Fruit (Banana, pear, apple, strawberries, peaches—whatever is in season!)
- Honey or brown sugar (Optional)
- Slice the fruit thinly. If you are using a hard fruit—Such as apple or pear—cook this gently in a little bit of water on the stove top until soft then drain.
- Cut the crusts off the bread and spread one side with butter, margarine or cream cheese—Whichever you prefer. Make sure it is spread right to the edges as this is what makes the bread stick together.
- If you like you can add some honey or a wee sprinkle of brown sugar. Cinnamon tastes yummy with fruit too.
- Put some of the fruit (not too much!) on one side of the bread and fold the other half over top.
- Use a fork to firmly squish down all the edges of the bread so that the filling doesn’t come out.
- Put the fruit popper into the toaster and toast as you normally would.
- Carefully remove for the toaster, cut in half and allow to cool a bit—sometimes the fruit gets pretty hot.
- These make a great breakfast, afternoon tea snack or even a pudding with a dollop of custard!
Some of my favourite flavour combinations:
- Strawberry and cream cheese
- Banana, honey and cinnamon
- Pear or apple with cinnamon
- Peach and ginger