PREP: 5 MINS + DOUGH RISING TIME: 30 MINS
COOK: 20 MINS
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- Honey to serve
- Mix the hot water with the milk in a bowl. Add the yeast and the sugar. Stir this together and leave somewhere warm to dissolve and go frothy. (About 5 minutes)
- Put the flour and the salt into a large bowl and stir to combine. Warm this either in the microwave for a few seconds or in a just heated oven.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and add the yeast mixture and the egg. Mix well to make a smooth batter.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave somewhere warm to rise. It should double in size in about 30 minutes. (Don’t stir it!)
- Heat a fry pan to med/hot and add some butter and a little oil (the oil will stop the butter from burning).
- If you have them, you can use egg moulds t pour the mixture into – otherwise just dollop spoonfuls into the hot pan.
- The crumpets will take about 5 minutes to cook on the bottom. you will see the bubbles rise to the top and burst – pop with a skewer if they don’t.
- When they have dried out a bit on the top, flip them over for and couple of minutes to brown on the top.
- Serve hot with a drizzle of honey and a little butter if that’s how you like them.