- Small jar (a mustard jar or baby food jar is ideal)
- Something to help make a hole in the lid
- Cotton wool or similar
- Coloured paper, pens, felt, material
- Twine or strong string
- Make a hole in the lid of your jar. This can be a little tricky and you may need to ask and adult to help with this part.
- Plug the hole with the cotton wool, making sure some sticks out the top of the lid and some will stay inside the jar.
- Fill the jar with a mixture of water and sugar. 1 part sugar to 9 parts water. The sugar is like nectar for the butterflies.
- Put the lid on and screw it tight.
- Tie the twine around the lid so that it can be hung in a tree.
- Decorate the jar with bright coloured petals made from the paper, felt or material, using the glue to stick them to the jar. Butterflies will be attracted to the bring colours think that it is a flower.
- Hang your butterfly feeder in the tree and wait to see if it gets any vistors!