PREP: 20 MINS
COOK: 75 MINS
- 250g Butter
- 3-4 Apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2½ cups Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ginger
- Optional: Sultans/raisins/walnuts
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Spray the sides of a cake tin with baking spray and then line the base with baking paper.
- Cut the apples and remove the cores. Slice each 1/4 into 4 pieces.
- Beat the eggs and set aside.
- Measure the butter and then melt in a large pot big enough to hold the whole mixture.
- Remove from heat and mix in apples and sugar then eggs.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and ginger together.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the apple mixture. Do not over mix or the cake will be heavy.
- Spread the mixture into the cake tin and place in the oven.
- Cook until cake springs back when touched or a knife comes out clean. About 70—80 minutes.
- Serve warm with custard or cream. This cake also keeps very well in the fridge.