PREP: 40 MINS
COOK: 20 MINS
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 carrot, grated
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable (or other) stock
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 heaped tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pesto
- 2 heaped tablespoons red lentils
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups dry macaroni or penne pasta
For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 50g grated cheese
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the pasta.
- Heat the oil in a frypan and sauté the onion, garlic and celery. When the vegetables soften, add the carrot and cook until soft.
- Mix in the tomatoes, stock, tomato paste, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, pesto and lentils and simmer gently for 20 minutes, and sauce is thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- While the vegetable sauce is cooking, preheat the oven to 200°C and make white sauce.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and whisk in flour. Gradually whisk in the milk, whisking well to make a lump-free sauce. Stir sauce over a gentle heat until it thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble , place the well-drained, cooked pasta into the bottom of a hcasserole or serving dish. Spoon over the vegetable sauce and then spoon the white sauce on top.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and bake for 20 minutes, or until piping hot and golden on top.