PREP: 15 MINS
COOK: 60 MINS
- 2 beetroot bulbs, washed
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup liquid honey
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line the base with non-stick baking paper and spray with oil or rub sides with butter.
- Peel the beetroot bulbs, then use a grater to finely shred. Set aside.
- Place the cocoa and hot water in a medium bowl and stir until there are no lumps.
- Add the sugar, honey and eggs, and mix until smooth .
- Stir in the beetroot.
- Add the milk, oil and vanilla essence and stir to combine.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together and fold this into the liquid ingredients. Don’t over mix at this point otherwise the cake will be heavy.
- Pour the cake mixture into the pan.
- Put into the oven and bake for 55—60 minutes or until ready.
- Once done leave it in the pan for about 5 minutes and then turn it out onto a wire rack to cool
- Dust with a little icing sugar or make a cream cheese icing. You could also make these into muffins. Adjust cooking time as needed.